Thursday, February 08, 2007

Kit's Retirement Speech

As I stepped up to this microphone a moment ago, I faintly heard the “pop” of a bubble. For forty years I have lived my dream. But now, my bubble has burst, and it is all over. Looking back on my career, I realize that it was defined by two major aspects: French food, and the golf course.
French food is what persuaded me to become an international man. At the young age of 13, when everything in my life centered around food, I made my first overseas voyage, in which I traversed the country of France. At the time I was severely allergic to eggs (a disease which I have thankfully grown out of by now) and so I was forced to be acutely aware of everything I ate. However, I began to enjoy talking to the locals about their cuisine and the care they put into every aspect of the food process. It was then, before I had even entered high school, that I realized I wanted to extend my life globally. France was a place special to my heart after my trips in both 8th grade and my year abroad in college, and when I decided to enter the government, I knew that was where I wanted to go. When I ascended to the position of Ambassador, I finally had realized my dream, and I count those eight years as some of my best. However, after the Presidential change in ’44, I felt that the country was going in a different direction than I was, so I stepped down with little fanfare.
After my retirement in ’44, I spent plenty of time on the golf course, and trust me, in those four years, I got pretty good at the game I love. Yet, it was on a course in central Virginia where I played with then presidential-candidate Milhouse. It was then that he informed me that he wanted me to run his State Department should he be elected President. With the blessings of my beloved family, I decided to accept his offer, and with his narrow victory (way to go Idaho!), I assumed my role in his cabinet. Secretary of State is a position which required great amounts of energy and focus, but was immensely enjoyable as well, as I quickly found that giving orders was a lot better than receiving them. But all good things must come to an end eventually, and with another presidential change on the horizon, I knew (this time for sure) that it was time for me to pass the torch. My family and my golf game are calling me back, and I will go to them with no doubts in my mind. I see leaders rising up through the ranks, such as Senator Fitzgerald and Secretary Delano, who are bringing new ideas on how to keep our country strong. So, while my time may be done, a new era is dawning, and our future is brighter than ever.
I thank all of you that came today, family, friends, colleagues and teachers, for giving me so much support and joy. As I move on to this new stage in my life, I only hope I can give back as much as I have received. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home