Friday, February 09, 2007

Farewell-Kira

Tonight was my last performance. I will no longer sit in my wood chair by the window overlooking Manhattan as I learn lines. I will no longer enter the black box theatre above the bakery to rehearse scenes. I will no longer sit at a makeup desk and apply pounds of makeup so I don’t wash out on stage. No longer.

I hate to be dramatic, especially now that I am leaving the theatre. But, I cannot contain my emotions as I reminisce over the years I’ve spent on the stage. I need to express my appreciation for what theatre has given to the world and to me, specifically.

Theatre brings many important issues into light in stages around the world. In today’s society, where people often look to the media and entertainment for information and instruction, theatre offers an important medium for exploring a variety of topics ranging from politics to ethical dilemmas to personal relationships. On television, people can witness battles between politicians, cultures, and families from a distance. This disconnect prevents the viewers from empathizing with the situation at hand. Yet, whether it is a hilarious parody of daily life or a heartbreaking story of despair, watching these stories unfold on stage brings “the issue home.”

According to last year’s Nobel Price winner, Dr. Jefferson, society learns best by reading books, attending lectures and undergoing personal experiences. Theatre blends these activities. Its scripts are the fabric from which issues of life are woven and displayed to an audience for contemplation. The actors push forward these themes through their deliverance on stage. Because of theatre’s intimate setting, a play creates a bond with the audience that leaves the viewers personally connected to the story that unfolds before their eyes.

I will certainly miss this connection and more.

Theatre has given so much to me in these past few decades. I know that my character doesn’t fit into easy pigeonholes. Maybe that’s why the most important thing in my life has been theatre. On stage, there are no fixed personalities. Anybody can play anyone and identity is only what you create. On a stage, I’m not tied down by social expectations or any of those superficial things that melt away in the bright lights. I love acting because theatre expands my persona. On stage, I can release my emotions and be every “me” that I am.
Unfortunately, my body can no longer handle the stress and pressure of acting. Those emotions, which once provided the rush that kept me performing in live-theatre, are now forcing me to step down.

Yet, theatre has given me a platform that I hope to use to promote the ever-increasing need for environmental action. While I am saying goodbye to the stage of theatre, I hope you will continue to support me on my next stage in life.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home